- Here, there and yonder, I wander and wander
About the Meaning of Life , I wonder and wonder
Stretching my limited ability, I ponder and ponder
But alas ! the Mystery eludes me, ‘cause I blunder & blunder.
- Be it sunshine, snow, rain or thunder,
There are rogues who plunder & plunder
The hidden wealth of the Earth, they squander and squander
And then the Marauders point their collective finger
At ME !
- The Cup of Life may have nectar or venom ; we have to drink it
Forcibly, willingly, stoically ; but we have to drink it
No matter the ‘When’ and ‘Why’ ; we HAVE TO drink it
In anguish, we have to find Joy , and we have to drink it !
- Reverence has no relevance for me
For, if I don’t seek knowledge, how can I revere a Learned one ?
I am totally ignorant , but I don’t know it at all
‘Stumbling blindly’ is the fate of a bumbling fool.
- You are Beholder of Knowledge , and I lack it completely
You are Enlightened, and I stagger in the Dark blindly
You stand at the Glowing Peak , and I am down in the dump
And yet, I will rise ; for , you are holding my hand .
- I wash your feet with fragrant Rose Water
I anoint them with scented Sandalwood paste
I embrace them and hold them close to my heart
Because, O Learned One, you are Knowledge personified.
- I can’t be you ; and you can’t be me
Your lot is yours ; and my lot, mine
You can walk this path without support
And yet, you hold my hand ; because I need it.
- It was ‘Fall’, and I was despondent
And I bumped into a Learned One
Lo and Behold ! , suddenly the ‘Fall’ turned into ‘Spring’ !
- I look up to you and plead to elevate me
And, suddenly someone else comes
And says the same thing to me !
* * *
– Subhash S. Naik